If you would like and are eligible to take part in voice sampling for the Nuvoic project, we’ll send you an information and consent form with the following information. We will go through this with you at enrolment so you can ask any questions before you decide whether to take part.
Information and consent form
Thank you for your interest in the Nuvoic Project!
The Nuvoic Project aims to improve voice recognition technology for people who have non-standard (‘dysarthric’) speech. It is run by Voiceitt – a specialist app developer, and the Karten Network – a network of IT centres for disabled people.
Voiceitt and their partners are working on an app, designed to help people with non-standard speech to communicate with people who may not understand them or to control smart home devices. We are looking for volunteers with ‘non-standard’ or ‘dysarthric’ speech to make voice recordings to help improve Voiceitt’s voice recognition.
Who can take part?
We are looking for people aged 16 or older, who have non-standard speech which can be understood by familiar people but sometimes not by others. They will need to read the instructions on screen (you can also hear the sample words and phrases spoken aloud) and control the app using the touchscreen on a tablet or smartphone.
What would I have to do?
We will ask participants to regularly use an app called Recorditt to make recordings of given words and phrases over 3 months. Phrases are organised in packs of 200 and each phrase only needs to be spoken once. There are 50 packs in total, we hope you will complete as many as you can but you don’t have to complete them all, even a few packs would be really helpful! Someone from the project team will help you to install and get started with Recorditt and will stay in touch about how you’re getting on.
Benefits and risks
Providing voice recordings will not benefit you immediately but you will be helping to improve Voiceitt’s voice recognition for all future users, benefitting everyone who eventually uses the app!
What’s in it for me?
If you complete 10 packs of phrases we will send you a £20 voucher for your chosen app store. If you complete all 50 packs you will have the chance to win one of 5 Amazon Echo Dot smart speakers (or the same value in vouchers). You will also have free use of the Voiceitt app during your participation and for 6 months after taking part in the project.
- If you agree to take part in the project, we will record your name, date of birth, email address, information about your speech and related health conditions, information about how you use the Recorditt app including login times and what activities you do, your voice recordings and your location. Voiceitt may convert your voice recordings into text.
- We will use this information to develop, test and improve the voice recognition and Voiceitt app and support your progress in the project. We will use summaries of participants’ data to write reports about the project, but these won’t contain any personal details. Voiceitt may send you newsletters or marketing by email but you can ask them to stop.
- Voiceitt may share your information with other partners as part of their business. This may include sharing information about your internet and app use and you may see targeted adverts based on this information while browsing online.
- Your data will be accessed by Voiceitt in Israel and may be transferred to their partners in the USA and other countries. Voiceitt will make sure that your data are protected in a similar way as they would be in the UK.
- We will keep your data for six months after the end of the project. Voiceitt will keep your user data for longer if you continue to use their app after this point. Your voice data will be kept permanently but it will no longer be identifiable as yours.
- You have the right to know what data we have collected about you, to make sure that it is correct and to ask for a copy. You can ask us to stop collecting, stop processing or delete your data at any time if you no longer want to use the apps or take part in the study.
- We will make sure that we meet all of our legal responsibilities to protect your personal data.
We hope that you will decide to take part in the Nuvoic project! Please ask the project team if you have any questions. You can contact us with questions or comments at any time: email email@example.com
If you agree to take part you can choose to leave the project at any time, but please talk to us first about any problems so that we can try to help!
If you decide to take part we will then ask you to record your consent, by agreeing to the following:
- I want to take part in the Nuvoic project and I understand the information above about what this means.
- I understand that the project team will collect data about me as described above and I agree to this.
- I understand that I can leave the project or change my mind about any part of this agreement at any time. If so, I will contact the project team to let them know.
We will ask you to sign the form or record your consent verbally, and you will become our newest participant! We can then make arrangements with you to install Recorditt and get started on your recordings.